Thursday, March 20, 2008

I am legend

Very recently I watched this movie 'I am Legend'. A fictional story set in the future where a deadly virus takes over the entire world and wipes out almost all of mankind, well all mankind. That's what Will Smith or Dr. Robert Neville assumes. He lives in New York City alone with only his dog to give him company. Heck I always had this dream and more often the desire to take his place.
A long time back I dreamt about waking up one day and finding no one around me, every street empty every house empty and absolute silence everywhere. For some reason it did not scare me or get me asking questions. Very stoically I accepted the inevitable and sat down to decide a few things. I realized that I would need food and power. So I set out to rummage through all the shops to get as much of canned food or processed food I could get. I also got hold of a huge SUV to help me move a lot of stuff around easily. This I thought I would have to do on a daily basis. Another thing I did was to get hold of a few generators capable enough to run my place. I located these far from my place to avoid the noise. I decided it was crucial to learn some important tasks for survival. Growing my own food, learning to use a weapon and curing basic aliments. Out of these food wouldn't be an immediate concern. So I get hold of a gun to keep with me at all times. I felt I needed a gun to keep me safe from any beasts. I ransacked a book store and pharmacist and get hold of a lot of medicines. I then prepare a strict schedule for myself for each day from exercising to watching movies to searching for other people like me. I actually hated the thought of running into someone else. I enjoyed this loneliness and in a weird manner the power I yielded. I could do anything I wanted without thinking having everything in the world at my disposal. Omnipotent I felt. On the other hand I knew I had to keep myself entertained or else the same loneliness would get to me and make me go mad. I decided to read a lot and watch a lot of movies. But even this was temporary I felt.
I decided to travel the world and see all the beautiful exotic places. I had anyways started reading books to learn flying a jet. It was time I felt for real lessons. I would goto this flight trainer's airport each day. Very soon I also started deciding on the destination and route. In between all this I snapped out of my sleep and every time I have the same dream it always ends here.
Watching the movie was real nice to see my dream alive. Of course I didn't have aggressive transformed beasts after me at night time, but to see Will Smith doing almost everything I dreamt of made me feel real good. I knew would enjoy such an experience and I knew that I was well prepared for it. I read this book 'Life of Pi' which also dealt with a similar situation only that the protagonist is stuck on a boat with a tiger. Robinson Crusoe, I am Legend and Life of Pi all are works I really enjoy because they teach me so much about survival instincts and how to be independent and alone not just in life but if possible in the whole world. I look forward to this dream come true.

No comments: